December 2, 2010

No Strings Attached. Roger Wang & Farid Ali.



I've always been a fan of Roger Wang. From his very first album until his recent releases with Pop Pop Music. With the latest due to be released Milestones compilation CD to celebrate Roger's 10th Anniversary in the music business, I'd taught I write about my favorite Roger Wang album.

The No Strings Attached album features Roger collaborating with the immensely gifted Mr Gambus, a.k.a. Farid Ali. The duo worked well together as Roger's finger style guitar play is in contrasting style, and instrument tone, against Farid's traditional Malay instrument with nylon string called the Gambus.

The good thing about this CD is that it also features 3 vocal tracks, voiced by Farid. He is an excellent vocalist and can convey emotion through tone and technique effectively. My favourite vocal track is sung in Bahasa Malaysia, called Ayah Dan Ibu(Father & Mother). It's a warm and heart felt tune about how Farid feels on his relationship with his parents.

The other two vocal tracks are covers of Close To You and Deep Within Me, which is pleasantly romantic and reflective in mood.

Other stand out tracks(for me at least) include Caravan, My Sweet Home and On Cloud 9, all are instrumental works by Roger and Farid. The sound quality is up to Roger's usual high standards and should not disappoint even the most demanding audiophiles.

Last but not least, I wish to congratulate Roger on the launch of his commemorative "Milestones" CD. Here's looking forward to the next 10 years with Roger!

No comments: